Thursday, 13 January 2011

Is David Cameron Leaving an Open Goal in Wales?

Today Cheryl Gillan made an unfortunate gaff which I heard live on Good Morning Wales.  The mistake has been headline news in Wales tonight.

I have a lot of sympathy for Cheryl as I certainly can not remember all the things that I was doing 8-9 years ago.

Nonetheless the opposition have once again leapt onto the mistake. Once again we hear the same old complaint that she is out of touch with Wales as she does not live here.  (What this has to do with with this current mistake is beyond me.)

She seems to spend more time in Wales than Peter Hain ever did, despite him supposedly living in Resolven.

I do however feel that the Party seems to be missing a trick by not having a Welsh based Secretary of State.   A Welsh based Secretary of State would  be an easy way to shoot down the main argument of the opposition and give Wales a stronger voice in the Cabinet.

Hopefully the next reshuffle in London will see Cheryl kept on but in a different role, whilst a Welsh based (possibly even Welsh speaking) MP will be given the top job in Wales.

No comments:

Post a Comment